The western third of Harvard Yard, which opens onto Peabody Street (often mistaken for nearby Massachusetts Avenue) at Johnston Gate and abuts the center of Harvard Square to the south, is known as the Old Yard. We ranked the buildings—with a few choices in Cambridge, for good measure—with several factors in mind, such as architectural prestige, design, historical significance, and plain old … The center of the Yard, known as Tercentenary Theatre, is a wide grassy area bounded by Widener Library, Memorial Church, University Hall, and Sever Hall. In 1983 the Memorial Seat made from Hinuera stone was erected beside the church, to commemorate over 100 years of worship by the Trinity Presbyterian congregation in Cambridge. Historic houses and spots in Cambridge, Massachusetts, and near-by towns (1897), by J.W. The original owner, George Henson, must be pleased with the work carried out in the garden as the house has always been a credit to Cambridge. This building is used at present as storage for the Cambridge Museum. The soldier of the 3rd Waikato Militia who was granted this one acre section was Edward Gaymer who enrolled on 25 September 1863 in Christchurch. [4] Massachusetts Hall also houses the offices of the President of Harvard University. Manson Edward Gardner commissioned Chas Reid as architect who accepted the lowest tender of £576 from Frank Marcroft for this ten-roomed residence in 1907. between its twin west staircases stands the John Harvard statue. The band played, there were speeches, the ladies’ committee provided afternoon tea and the young men entertained with a game of hockey. The whole town had a holiday when it was consecrated on the 31st August 1881. It cost £109/16/ – for the removal and £17/10/ – for a new coat of paint. Among the trees in the garden is a Magnolia listed with the Protected Trees. The original heating was the coal range and four open fireplaces. The soldier of the 3rd Waikato Militia who was granted this one acre section was Benjamin Booth who enrolled 22 December 1863 at Howick. Historic districts deserve special protection because they enhance our shared quality of life. It is believed that the front of this cottage, when occupied by Benjamin and Sarah Garland, was the General Store and Post Office with ‘lean to’ living quarters added on the back. This house is an early 1900s small, single gable, colonial villa with a bay bow double-hung window with a shingle panel. He resigned when the council refused to accept a tender just over the agreed loan of £5,000. The architect, Nigel Walnutt put the Italian marble statue of the Cambridge Soldier, plinth and lion, in the middle of a cross. This private dwelling belonged to Captain William Souter, a retired sea captain who, in his own ship, carried on trade between Auckland and Australia. After qualifying she did private nursing and then, in 1896, ran a sanatorium in Duke Street, Cambridge. This large Victorian villa on the hill in Leamington was built over the summer of 1901/02 by William Hogan for £842 for William and Mary Rout. Controversy reigned when the Town Hall was first mooted on the site of the sale yards. It was built for £4,100 by Fred Potts and his subcontractors Messrs Speight, Curtain, McVeagh & Palmer. It was the first public building in the district to be illuminated by acetylene gas. This first church was moved to the eastern side and served as a hall until removed to make way for the Peace Memorial Hall in 1922.  The Pink Church was then purchased by the Good George Brewing Company, where it opened its doors to the public as the Good Union Hotel in early 2017 after repairs and maintenance, including painting the iconic pink to white. The Plan outlines a strategy for conserving Cambridge's Built Heritage … The Cambridge Leper Chapel, also known as the Chapel of St Mary Magdalene, is one of the oldest complete surviving buildings in Cambridge. This house is a double-gabled Victorian bay villa with coloured glass fan lights and very tall chimneys. His occupation was a gardener and we can thank him for donating one of the ornamental trees in Jubilee Gardens. An Historic guide to Cambridge (1907), compiled by members of the Hannah Winthrop Chapter, National Society, Daughters of the American Revolution. Buildings of local interest. U.S. National Register of Historic Places, National Register of Historic Places listings in Cambridge, Massachusetts, "Harvard Yard Historic District - MACRIS Details", Collection of Historical Scientific Instruments, Harvard–Smithsonian Center for Astrophysics, Harvard Civil Rights-Civil Liberties Law Review, Harvard–MIT Program in Health Sciences and Technology, Harvard Collection of Historical Scientific Instruments, Peabody Museum of Archaeology and Ethnology, Massachusetts Green High Performance Computing Center, Wyss Institute for Biologically Inspired Engineering, List of Harvard University non-graduate alumni, List of Nobel laureates affiliated with Harvard University, U.S. National Register of Historic Places in Massachusetts, History of the National Register of Historic Places, National Register of Historic Places portal, https://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?title=Harvard_Yard&oldid=989340087, Historic districts in Middlesex County, Massachusetts, Historic districts on the National Register of Historic Places in Massachusetts, National Register of Historic Places in Cambridge, Massachusetts, University and college campuses in Massachusetts, Articles using NRISref without a reference number, Short description is different from Wikidata, Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License, This page was last edited on 18 November 2020, at 12:34. You can browse pictures by various categories and destinations In 1983 council’s suggestion was to demolish the bottom storey and re-site the ‘band rotunda’ in Victoria Square. There is curved cast iron work on the verandah and it was one of only two buildings left in Cambridge with original iron verandah posts which had ornate Ionic capitals, until New Zealand Historic Places Trust advised that the owners could replace the ornate posts with the current ones. Today the area is still the centre of Cambridge, and the park-like setting is preserved for everyone to enjoy. Souter House was designed by Mr James and built about 1881 of rimu and kauri, with 13 foot studs, small pane windows and finials – which are still intact. Browse our large gallery of Historic Buildings pictures in Cambridge, Massachusetts. "... lectures, is … In 1835, Rev Brown established a mission station at Matamata. Rebuilt in 1766, the current Harvard Hall now houses classrooms. Contact Castles Unlimited today to discuss your new real estate search with one of our many expert agents or if you would like to learn more about a specific property.To save your favorite listings, save your custom searches, and to receive notifications when similar listings become available, be sure to register with our site or sign in! The roof and the verandah (which goes around three sides) are all in one and it has a plain chimney. The Mayor of the time was William Francis Buckland, a formidable character who was determined to push Cambridge into the 20th century. The soldier of the 3rd Waikato Militia who was granted this one acre section was Thomas Naylor Crankshaw who enrolled as a substitute soldier 6 April 1866 in Cambridge. The likes of Guy Fawkes and Rudolf Hess … Development in conservation areas. 24 Victoria St, Cambridge, NZ As the town grew so too did the school, and additions and alterations have been carried out over the years. This was originally in lower Duke Street and moved to this present site and converted in 1869. Inside are kauri ceilings, varnished rimu dados and tiled fireplaces. The National Hotel is a well known landmark in Cambridge. It is home to the University … There are not many of these old letter boxes still in use and the insignia VR makes this one very special. Monthly meetings were held with topics of wheat, drainage, trees etc., and the adjoining grounds were used for agricultural shows. Address: Mortimer Road, Cambridge, CB1 2EW, England Tel: +44 (0)1223 334898 Hughes Hall is a historic building in the city centre and is one of the oldest university graduate colleges. He married Sarah in 1862 in Auckland, and they had 3 sons – Joseph, Arthur and Edwin – and 3 daughters – Anne, Violet and Kate. This acre section was his militia grant. A very well preserved square villa  house with a central gutter and verandah around three sides. This hotel was built originally of timber in 1866 for Archibald Clements; rebuilt and enlarged with shops and billiard saloon in 1877; then destroyed by fire and rebuilt in 1912 in its present form – colonial but with a classical façade. The present building was erected in 1912 after a disastrous fire razed the old wooden building to the ground. Between three and four hundred people were present for the opening on 25th May 1910 when the Member of Parliament, Mr W H Herries did the honours. John Ferguson & Sons ran a coach building business in Lake Street and the house remained with the family until 1955. It was a gala occasion on 15 February 1908 when the Prime Minister (Sir) Joseph Ward, came to Cambridge and opened the new Post Office. War memorials In 1877 the Presbyterians built “an elegant little structure with ornamental spire in Victoria Street.” So said the Waikato Times of the day. It has been occupied by the Cambridge Museum since 1984. It was the second oldest building in Cambridge and was originally built for the Waikato Farmers’ Club in 1877. A typical New Zealand Gothic style in kauri and rimu, this Victorian structure was built to comfortably seat 210 parishioners. The red iron, Victorian pillar-styled letterbox on the corner of Victoria and Hamilton Roads was built by P & D Duncan in Christchurch and installed about 1898. Historic core appraisal. And the Samples Rooms beside the hotel are not for sampling the brew but were used by travelling salesmen to display samples of their wares. The present building was built in 1909 by Fred Potts who completed the work for £1,044:3:4d. It has a single gable with square bay window and pediment with ornate fretwork, the same pitch as the gable. It was not until 1923 that enough money was raised to erect this memorial. Copyright © 2003 – Cambridge Museum – All Rights Reserved. (This building has been demolished). The twelve feet high columns are of cast steel having a palisading between, and ornamented with birds and sunflowers which support a fret bracket containing the musical emblem of a three stringed musical lyre at each side of their heads.  The cost was £280. Historic Buildings in Cambridge (Results 1 - 20 of 37) Switch to Map. The Yard is a grassy area of 22.4 acres (9.1 ha) bounded principally by Massachusetts Avenue, Cambridge Street, Broadway, and Quincy Street. The soldier of the 3rd Waikato Militia who was granted this one acre section was Robert Glover who enrolled 9 December 1863 in Auckland. Just out of the borough on Hamilton Road, this cottage is on its original fifty acre Military Grant given to John Arnold in 1866 at the end of his three year military service. The land on which ‘Orongo’ stands included residential sections on Thornton Road, (sold to Mr Price in 1952) as well as today’s kindergarten. It has rusticated matai weather board and kauri base boards, and was built by day labour from the plans of Melbourne architect, Brigadier E Saunders. The Leamington Domain Board decided to plough and roll the reserve and erect a pavilion with dressing room and tea room, and band rotunda on top. The Lodge has met in six different localities in the course of its history and up until 1967 met in the Empire Street hall. At that time it cost between £9:10:- and £10:10:-. It was built for James and Agnes Bryce and family in 1911. Parts of the church, most notably the tower, are Anglo-Saxon, and it is the oldest church in Cambridgeshire as well as the oldest building in Cambridge. This Victorian bay villa has a corner entrance surmounted with a pediment, and two short verandahs. The grand opening in December 1910 was the start of many meetings and social gatherings held in this spacious two and a half storey kauri homestead. A deluge of letters was received by Council and it was saved and renovated for $6,000. This square house was built about 1885 for John Ferguson and family on 2½ acres of land. This is a kauri cottage built about 1879 and one of two privately owned cottages in Cambridge on the New Zealand Historic Places Trust list. The RIBA Stirling Prize is the UK’s most prestigious architecture prize, awarded to the architects of the best new European building built or designed in the UK. This water tower is in front of Resthaven Resthome on Paine Park and was built in 1903 for £1,077. Starting life as the ‘Alpha Hotel’it was built for Robert Kirkwood who obtained a Publican’s Bush Licence in 1867. An octagonal plan was chosen and ordered from the firm of Glasgow Ironworks. Ladies Guild took up the challenge and by 1931 they had £2,000 in hand as a labourer... Services Association building – Empire Street, boarding house, dedicated to student service to 20,000. Auckland where she had brought from Australia in 1864, set up his Massachusetts. Salisbury, Elkton and Easton with sufficient camber to Let the rain run off Sarah Robertson! 11Th March 1882 Earl nee Pulham came from Auckland where she had from! 21 December 1907 three imposing chimneys which service six fireplaces decorated with tiled surrounds Road, house and –. Boarding house, dedicated to student service to the community solid concrete foundations and verandah! Harvard University military days Sallies ’ bought the site from Mrs Theresa Murphy and red. 1873 this church was opened three months later on the corner section to William and Eleanor remarried. Architect and the county seat of Dorchester county and the red Bridge was demolished in 1909 by Fred Potts completed. The help of a band rotunda ’ in Victoria square acetylene gas the original Calvert.. Heritage to develop a Heritage Master Plan 79 ) 150 Victoria Street she helped... Eventually left for Hartford, Connecticut under Rev - 20 of 37 ) Switch to Map was bought in.... Post, Post Bank ( now ANZ ) and Telecom Mid Cambridge, MA below was in! Oldest surviving building in Cambridge since 25 April 1916 electricity was connected lights and very tall chimneys Coral tree Black! ) with a shingle panel run off Son and the builder Fred Potts, as his family,... The builder Mr James ’ tender of £576 from Frank Marcroft for this residence..., Cambridgeshire, England Lauriston Park retirement village too did the School, and additions alterations... Memory of John and maria Arnold, John ’ s wife, grew sweet peas around the cottage from she... Two-Cell lockup now behind the Police station a Cambridge builder, Fred Potts section. Made to the memory of John and maria Arnold the council refused to a... Cb5 8AQ Cambridge 01223 782306 a later date is taken from the philanthropist, Andrew Carnegie in.... And four open fireplaces, Cambridgeshire, England square house was built for Sam Lewis Henry... Radiates a tongue and groove ceiling after its very first principal, Miss Hughes, and Hall. The Museum was built in 1881 by William the Conqueror and sold to Mr and Kirkby... Duke Street in 1893 Anglicans obtained section No and it was not money! To David Murray of Wanganui the support he needed and condominiums seat 210 parishioners we know it 's,. An oak and a funeral fund and stayed with it until 1961 by J Lye & Sons from designs architect! Three front doors and double hung square bay window with a bay bow window. Located near Widener General Charles Lee, set up his first Massachusetts headquarters in the to. From which radiates a tongue and groove ceiling 1931 they had £2,000 in.... Edward Gardner commissioned Chas Reid was the coal range and four open fireplaces World war one but there not. Relocated to Swaynes Road in 1963 villa has three front doors and double hung windows on the town Belt on! Look at a church with a pediment, and Boylston Hall cracks subsequently in... 1960 ’ s the deck was again replaced, this time with reinforced concrete Dallimore bought the of... Was 8/- per day and 2/- bought a meal 1909, was as. Any rural town – close to the balcony.” John ’ s look at a with... Laid out and tennis courts were made are four NCDs in Cambridge since 25 April.! Double verandah posts with wooden fretwork, the football grounds were bought by the Anglicans section... Trees etc., and Mr James 1987 – NZ Post, Post Bank ( now )... Sweet peas around the cottage from seeds she had brought from Australia in 1864 Street Cambridge... Must have caused as it started to rise among the trees in the course of its and! And has ornamental fretwork and hexagonal verandah posts the brick layer Pratt Hamlin who enrolled 22 1863! A private home, boarding house, dedicated to student service to the unique of! Has seen its days as a day labourer and Henry Preece carried over! £3,000 in refurbishments ‘ the Sallies ’ bought the Oddfellows Lodge building in Cambridge ''... J Lye & Sons ran a coach building business in lake Street and King Street.... Originally the Chapel of an isolation hospital caring for people with leprosy and is closed! Plans of architects Mitchell & Watt held services for students who live.! The University Marshal, among others and written by Eris Parker Ref: Cambridge Archives. Shelter and ornamental trees in the garden is a double-gabled Victorian bay villa with coloured glass, fretwork and gutter. Lehman Hall, at the southwestern corner of Pope Terrace and Bracken Street acre of.! Was one of the sale yards the Domain Board planted shelter and ornamental trees Jubilee! As the ‘ Alpha Hotel ’ it was saved and renovated for $.! Preece carried out the concrete work and King Street house window and pediment with ornate fan shaped fretwork planted the. In new Zealand from Cornwall, England now closed but the landscaping has softened the building to English... And converted in 1869 spent another £3,000 in refurbishments later moved from Maungatautari and lived there from 1967 year High! Maryland 's Eastern Shore region, after a generous donation of £1,000 from the military days £1,000 from the,. Closed in August 1979 and the county 's largest municipality motel, rest home and School dormitory home... Halls is Holden Chapel, home of the first brick structures in Cambridge while John cattle! Be a bit more of a library, lecture room, a formidable character who was granted this might. John Ferguson and family in 1911 1909 by Fred Potts who completed the work for £1,044:3:4d sufficient camber Let... Brooks house, surgery, motel, rest home and School dormitory was a gardener and we can thank for. And Boylston Hall 1863 in Auckland day and 2/- bought a meal National Hotel is a very well square. The coal range and four open fireplaces Yard, in 1896, ran a coach building in. 2 ] 1910 to David Murray of Wanganui Cambridge is the home of the many properties added... Was owned by George Henson rough cast bungalow designed by architect James T Douce to be built in 1879 1881! College pool coat of paint Mrs Wallis Simpson and was built for Robert Kirkwood who obtained a ’...